Breast lift surgery is performed for women who have moderate to severe sagging of breasts and wanthigher, firmer,yet normal looking breasts. Mastopexy is an aesthetic plastic surgery that has gained popularity worldwide. Typically in breast lift surgery, the breast tissue is tightened and loose skin is removed. An implant may or may not be used. The size of the areola is also reduced in most cases.
Who can undergo breast lift?
Most breast lifts are performed for women who have lost breast volume after cessation of breast feeding. Massive weight loss can also cause breast volume reduction and sagging. In cases where the sagging is mild and the patient wants augmentation of size, addition of volume alone by inserting a breast implant is often sufficient to make the breast firmer and larger.
Methods of Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
Breast uplift can be achieved by different surgical techniques. Broadly, there are two types of procedures:
- Peri-areolar technique. This technique uses an incision around the areola only. Peri-areolar breast lift techniques are useful in mild to moderate breast ptosis (sagging).
- Short scar vertical breast lift technique. This technique utilizes incisions around the areola as well as a vertical line downwards from the areola in the breast meridian. Vertical mastopexies are most commonly performed for breast lifting.
The appropriate technique in each case will be chosen after clinical assessment and discussion with you.
Breast lift with enlargement
Breast augmentation can be performed at the same time as Breast Lift with Implants surgery (augmentation mastopexy). A cohesive gel silicone implant is used in such cases. Increasing the size of the breast along with breast lift can also be done as a two-stage procedure, in which the mastopexy is done first and breast augmentation is performed after a few weeks.
Breast lift surgery is performed under general anesthesia. Pre-operative markings are made prior to surgery. The surgery involves three important steps:
- Step 1. Moving the nipple-areola complex to a normal position.
- Step 2. Rearranging the breast tissue on the chest wall to correct the sagging.
- Step 3. Removal of excess skin and a fine closure with or without drains.
The procedure is completed in 2-3 hours. You can return home the same day or stay one night in hospital.
Further information can be obtained from the website www.wonderbreastlift.com.